The Many Benefits of Garcinia Atroviridis
Garcinia Atroviridis (Thai: ส้มแขก)
So many health-related and other benefits have been attributed to Garcinia atroviridis. Ethnobotanical and pharmacological reports described some of its significant medicinal and preservative properties. Studies have shown that extracts from different parts of Garcinia atroviridis exhibit strong anti-obesity effects, antiulcerogenic, anti-diabetes, antimicrobial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antitumor-promoting activities.
Garcinia atroviridis is a small to medium-sized perennial fruit tree that is endemic in tropical Peninsular Malaysia and southern part of Thailand. It is called Som Kaek, Som Khwai, Som Phangun, Rong Thong, Ma Kham Kaek, Cha Muang in Thailand; and Asam Gelugur, Asam Gelugo, Asam Keping or Nayo in Malaysia.
It is now also being widely cultivated in other Southeast Asian countries for its economic and health benefits, as well as for its culinary uses. In Thailand, the demand for Garcinia atroviridis is increasing.
The G. atroviridis tree grows to a height of more than 20 meters, has a long trunk, smooth grey bark and drooping branches. Its leaves are dark green, shiny, long and narrow with a pointed tip and upturned edges. The flowers are dark red. The fruits are round and pumpkin-like the size of an orange, and are bright yellow when ripe.
Culinary Uses and Edibility
- The fruit of Garcinia atroviridis are usually sliced, dried, then stewed and used as an ingredient in curries and soups.
- Sun-dried slices of the fruits which are known to be extremely sour are popularly used as a salad vegetable.
- The Garcinia atroviridis fruit contains citric acid, tartaric acid, malic acid and ascorbic acid, hydroxycitric acid (HCA), and flavonoids.
- The leaves are also used as food. They are known as a traditional vegetable and are either cooked or consumed raw or mixed in salads.
Medicinal Uses: Antimicrobial, Antibacterial, Antioxidant, Antitumor-Promoting Activities
- Extracts from the fruit is also said to reduce excessive triglyceride and LDL cholesterol while it increases the HDL cholesterol levels at the same time. This has a significant effect in delaying atherosclerosis.
- Crude root extracts exhibited predominantly antibacterial activity, while extracts from the root, leaf, trunk and stem bark showed strong antioxidant activity exceeding that of the standard antioxidant.
- Significant antitumor-promoting activity was seen in extracts from the fruit, leaf, stem and trunk bark extracts.
- Toxicity testing with brine shrimps has shown that none of the extracts were significantly cytotoxic and lethal.
Researchers found that the butanol extract of the Garcinia fruit strongly inhibited Cladosporium herbarum (molds) which is a very common fungal plant pathogen that has the ability to trigger allergic reactions and asthmatic attacks to sensitive individuals. Cladosporium spores can be found on dead herbaceous and woody plants, textiles, rubber, paper, and all sorts of food. They can also be found on the floor, in carpet and mattress dust, damp acrylic painted walls, wallpaper, HVAC insulation, filters and fans. Cladosporium herbarum is frequently the most prominent mold in air-spora that grows over a wide range of temperatures, and has frequently been reported causing spoilage of meat in cold storage.
Supplement for Weight Management and Anti-Obesity
The hydroxycitric acid or HCA in Garcinia atroviridis fruit has been proven over the last few decades to be effective in the reduction of body weight and food intake, as well as beneficial in ameliorating obesity-related complications such as inflammation, oxidative stress, and insulin resistance. Several studies have shown that HCA alone or in combination with other ingredients is effective in inducing satiety, weight loss, reduced food intake and increased fat oxidation.
- In Southeast Asia, a decoction of G. atroviridis leaves and roots is sometimes used for the treatment of cough, dandruff, earache, stomach pains associated with pregnancy, and throat irritation.
- The dried fruit of G. atroviridis is used for the treatment of coughs, to improve blood circulation, as a laxative, and as a expectorant.
- The fruit is also used in a lotion with vinegar to rub over the abdomen of women after confinement.
HCA in GoldShape Products
Thai scientists have developed Super Hi–Sol containing over 70% of hydroxycitric acid (HCA) in a 100% water-soluble and readily bioavailable form. This formulation has the highest concentration of HCA than any other product and has been clinically proven in multi-center clinical study to be efficacious in reducing body fat content and blood triglycerides with no undesirable side effects. All volunteers in the study also reported an improvement in their stamina and endurance.
Since Super Hi–Sol and its fat-reduction benefits became popular in Thailand, it has been incorporated into many beverages being sold. Recently one of APCO’s products containing Super Hi-sol received FDA approval for import and distribution in the United States.
GoldShape (by SlimSafe – scientific formula) is a brand of body and face firming or shaping products manufactured by Asian Phytoceuticals Public Company Limited in Thailand. Shipping of GoldShape products outside of Thailand is handled by the company’s digital marketing department (APCODM).
Visit the GoldShape product pages to learn more about each GoldShape firming and shaping product.
anti-cancer, anti-diabetes, anti-inflammatory, anti-obesity, antifungal, antiobesity, antioxidant, antitumor, APCO, APCODM, atroviridis, benefits of garcinia, biggest loser, dieting, garcinia, Garcinia a., Garcinia atroviridis, Gold Shape, GoldShape, health, healthy, lose fats, lose weight, Operation BIM, slimming, SlimSafe, Thailand, TrimOne, weight loss, weight reduction